Group texts on Android
It is becoming more and more common for Android users to have unlimited texts per month that allows for a frequent use SMS texts to connect and communicate with other people from their contacts list. This has also lead to the increasing popularity of the so-called text groups. For example, on your Android smartphone, using its regular texting/contacts app or a third-party software, you can create such a text group and later use it to send a certain message to all of the people within the group at once instead of having to send it to each person separately. It can be a simple “Happy New Year” wish or it can be the date and time of a meeting that you want to arrange with the people from the group. Regardless if the purpose, this could prove to be rather convenient and useful as it allows for a quick way to communicate with more than one person.
However, there is a downside to it and it is when you have been added to such a text group. The problem comes when you start receiving texts from such groups without really wanting them. The thing is that you cannot really control who ads you to such a group on their phone and there’s chance that you might start getting unwanted or even irritating texts every now and then. It could get especially annoying if such texts arrive at moments that are inconvenient for you. It could be during a business meeting or while attending lectures at the university or even while being at the cinema, watching a movie. Of course, you can always silence your phone so that no notifications or phone calls can be heard but then again, you might want to keep the sound of your device turned on in case anything important comes up. This leads us to the current issue of this article – how to leave a group text on Android.
What can you do?
As we already mentioned, since the group text is created on another person’s device, you would usually have no control over whether or not you are in that group. This is different from chat groups in Messenger/Facebook where you can easily leave the chat. So what do? Well, depending on whether you are using your regular texting/contacts app on your device or a third-party software, there might be a couple of different options – we will try to go over the most basic of them within the next few lines.
How to leave a group text on Android
Different brands of Android-based smartphones use different default texting apps so there might be certain minor differences here depending on what your device is. Still, though, here is what you’d generally need to do in order to leave or rather silence a group text on Android. As we said above, you cannot really leave such a group on yourself – you’d have to ask the person who has added you to remove your number from the group’s members. However, you can still make it so that messages from this group text would be silenced.
- Find your messaging app – it could be labeled Texts or Messages or Messaging – anything along those lines.
- Open the app and find the group text you want to silence.
- Tap on the settings menu (usually three dots button at the top-right of your display).
- Go to People and Options > Notifications and turn off the notifications for this group text.
If you are using a third-party app
There are a lot of third-party software applications that handle Android texting and provide the user with additional options to choose from. We cannot cover all of them here but we will still give you an idea on how to silence group texts from two of the most popular texting apps out there.
Using GO SMS Pro
- Open the app and tap on the fifth option (top-right).
- Swipe down until you see the Blocker setting and tap on it. If GM SMS Pro hasn’t been set as your default texting app, you’d need to agree to do so or else the Blocker option won’t be available.
- Tap on the gear button at the top-right and then select Blacklist.
- Again, in the top-right, tap on the add button.
- Now, select the first option (Select from conversation list).
- Choose the conversation from the group text and add it to the Blacklist. Now, you won’t be receiving any more notifications from this group.
- Open the app and select the conversation that you want to silence.
- Tap on the arrow at the top-right and then select the three-dot menu.
- Select the Blacklist option – this is all that needs to be done, you will no longer receive notifications from this group text.